Author Topic: Polish Orphan 2009 Christmas Project  (Read 9382 times)

Rachael

• Administrator
Polish Orphan 2009 Christmas Project
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
Greetings!

We've kicked off the 2009 Polish Orphan Christmas Project.

I'm going to turn this over to my twin sister who is going to post some pictures from last year's project. She and her husband and their family, along with others from the Foundation there in Poland, are the ones who pull off this fabulous project each year!

It's a ton of work and they do an amazing job. The best part, of course, besides the obvious, helping those in need, is that they know how to pinch the pennies as tightly as we do... which means they shop all year for the best bargains and wheel and deal to get the best "bang" for their Polish buck!

How often have you researched a charity somewhere and found out that 90% of what you gave went to pay the salaries of the ones who run it and the rest goes to the actual project? Well, not so with this! This is completely underwritten by us and by them. We pay for the actual gifts and they give of their time, since they are missionaries and various outfits, individuals and organizations cover their salaries anyway. So, none of the monies we give will go towards paying for the to do this project!

So, when you give a $15 present, all $15 will go towards it. Now, remember, the dollar fluctuates daily, so buying power will change, sometimes dramatically, but they do an amazing job!

We trust that you'll really get behind this project.

Right now we're at 20 gift bags and 20 candy bags.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:42:58 PM by Rachael »

Becky

• Email
Re: Polish Orphan 2009 Christmas Project
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
I live in Poland where we have a charitable organization. One of things we do each year is a "Christmas parties project".

Since 2000 we have put together presents for area children's homes and other children from our area. Here are pictures of our 2008 special outreach.

Our children usually help in many, many ways, varying from putting on a program of song and Bible verses to helping pack and wrap, carry packages, read out names, and endure a grumpy mama who is "stressed out" ! :)

We appreciate each of our American friends who have given in order to make this effort possible. If you gave to this project last year, then consider yourself responsible for these smiles!  :D

We gave out about 450 presents during December 2009.

First we have a packing party where we wrap presents and pack up the candy.

Usually kids help pack up the candy bags. This past year a lady from the USA made special cloth bags for the candy bags.

These were some of the stuffed animals we gave the girls.

Wrapping

We needed more presents, so we went back to the store and brought them home for more intense wrapping after the "big wrapping party".

Various pictures of children and young people:

They are all receiving presents, either at the various children's home, the juvenile detention center or in our church building.

She cried because she was so happy with her horses!  

Before the children/teens receive their presents, they listen to a 15-20 minute presentation of song and Scripture telling of the first Christmas story.  

These are my children. Sorry for the terrible picture, but it is all I have from last year. (I'm playing the piano during their singing.)

How you can help this year, 2009:
If this looks like a project you would like to support, be assured you can!  You can sponsor a present by checking out the front of this website and clicking on Present and/or candy bag.  We'd be pleased to have you help. Last year TCC customers sponsored around 100 presents! We appreciate you all!

Becky Petersen

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:17:54 PM by Becky »

Becky

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:52 AM »
You all are doing great!  Thanks so much. 

I do work hard to make sure your money gets spent to the very best of my ability. And in the past, just to help out, your site owner has provided money for the wrapping, tape, bags, etc. so none of the money donated for presents actually has to be spent on wrapping. 

(I hate the idea of spending much on something that will be ripped in pieces in seconds.)

Becky

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 08:39:59 AM »
Yesterday someone called and told me that her school's counselor was very excited to hear that we do something like this in the area. It was especially interesting because the lady who told the counselor has never even seen our gift exchange "in action". 

I told this lady that I would make sure that I visit her school and talk with the counselor.  (We not only give presents to the children's homes, but seek out the area needy--people who are working but can't make ends meet because often salaries are pitiful.)

Thanks so much for all your help!

Becky

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:39:59 AM »
Stores are just now starting to put up their Christmas decorations and some Christmas shopping is starting in earnest. I'm looking out for "deals" even now. Sometimes the best things get sold out early and they don't restock here like they do in the states.

Most people here wait til late in the season to buy. 

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and don't forget about our special project. Thanks again for all your help!

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
For those of you joining us directly through this link, realize that you can order the gift bags of candy or gift bag of presents through this site:

http://www.thecouponclippers.com/coupons/home.php

You can go there and I'll leave it at the top through the Thanksgiving season.

Becky

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
Some of you have asked for a special donation card that you can print out so that you can let someone know that you have given a donation in their name.  I've made up two of them (so far).  One is from a "singular" person and uses "I" in the text.  The other one is identical but is from a "we" (I was thinking of siblings or a couple who might give the gift to a parent who has everything).

Here is a picture for you.

You may download a PDF file of the card and print it yourself (uses 8 1/2" x 11" paper).

Singular - uses "I" in the text of the card
http://blog.solidrockpl.org/donation%20card.pdf

Plural - uses "we" in the text of the card
http://blog.solidrockpl.org/donation%20cardplural.pdf

These are pictures of real recipients of presents, not some pictures captured somewhere off the web.

Enjoy!  I hope this meets a need.

You can download this file and print it out at home and use as needed.

Thanks so much for your help!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:25:13 AM by Becky »

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »
These PDF cards are perfect for you to print up and use as Christmas presents for the person who has everything!

Becky

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
We were currently at 349 until a minute or two ago when I read my email and we just arrived at our goal of 350! 

We are very thankful to each of you for your help in this project. If you still want to help, you may and we can use it, but we wanted a minimum of 350, and we are there, so I can begin step 2 of this process.

This includes filling in the schedule and inviting the children to the various activities, going to the children's homes (I already have 3 parties planned, but that is really just the beginning). If we do happen to go over by another 70 or so, there is another boarding school for these types of kids that I want to include, but it is only if we have a lot more money come in.

Thanks soo much!

Becky

Becky

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 12:20:10 AM »
We're up to 377!

I'm very grateful for all of your help.  We couldn't do this without you.

Becky

• Email
We're up to 385 sponsored gifts now!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
I realize that you all are super shoppers.  Prices here do tend to be higher than the states, so I have to be extra careful with my money.  Today I went shopping for the first time this season for a "huge amount" of money.  I bought over 100 presents and spent quite a bit of money! :) 

Many of you would like to see the types of presents that we can get for this money.  It isn't always easy to find something of decent value for the money, but we're working as hard as we can at finding good presents for the money you have donated.  With few exceptions, these all fit in the price range we have. Some will be combined with another small toy, or something more practical, like gloves, shawls, etc.  I will continue to look.  We have one school alone where we have 130 children, ages 7-14!  This year we will be giving out all our presents, I'm sure, PLUS some.  We have some left over from last year which will enable us to do this.

So, here goes....These are in no particular order. I just wanted to make pictures available to you all.

Becky

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
We're up to 410 sponsored gifts.  I'm so grateful for your help!  I'm turning my focus now to purchasing and packing. Our "packing party" will be at 10 am on Sat., the 12th at the church in Otwock. If you want to help and are in the area, we'd love to have you..."prosze bardzo"!

Becky

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 03:58:12 PM »
We had our first parties tonight.  I'll be putting up pictures soon but for now, I'm tired. We gave away almost 200 presents tonight. We were in three places. We will next be somewhere on Wednesday and then we have all day Saturday that we are busy. Then I will collapse.:)

Becky

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
Parties!

Due to the need for anonymity, I'm going to post just the pictures from Monday night and not identify where the pictures were taken. They were taken from our first three parties, however.  We were able to give out almost 200 presents and candy bags.  Thanks so much for your help!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:20:38 PM by Becky »

Becky

• Email
Johnson & Johnson donations
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »
Then, a neat thing happened. Through one of my English students, I was put in contact with a marketing rep from Johnson & Johnson. The end result is that today we were given about a pallet load of "stuff' from Johnson & Johnson!  I'm putting pictures here of the stuff. We have plans to give most of it away on Saturday when we have a major distribution at the church to people from Jozefow and Otwock!  We were excited to get this stuff. Abby organized it nicely for us so we could get some pictures.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:27:37 PM by Becky »