Author Topic: Christmas 2008 in POLAND.. help the Polish Orphans.  (Read 7487 times)

Rachael

• Administrator
Christmas 2008 in POLAND.. help the Polish Orphans.
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
We're ready to begin our annual PUSH for the Polish Orphans' Christmas again.

I just wanted to remind you that our customers are "the best" when it comes to this. I'm going to let my sister add her own comments here in the next square.

When you donate to this, EVERY penny of this goes to them. I do not even subtract out the paypal fees or the credit card fees. We let our business pay all those fees, and give them the entire sum that you donate. Be confident that when you give $10 that you're giving to someone who shops like you do!!!!!!!!!

There's nothing worse than giving money to a charitable organization only to find out that the one in charge of shopping has "NO IDEA" how to go about finding a bargain and you know that they blow through your money. Becky has really learned the art of shopping in Poland for the Polish kids!

We'll be giving updates as the gifts come in.

--RW

Becky

Re: Christmas 2008 in POLAND.. help the Polish Orphans.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
My sister asked me to give a brief introduction of who we are and what we are doing.

We have lived in Poland since 1994 (http://www.solidrockpl.org) and I am Rachael's twin sister. (Our own website will tell you a lot about us and http://www.family.solidrockpl.org will tell you LOTS about me and my interests.)

We started a nonprofit charitable organization in 2002. Our area in Poland seems to have many children's homes and similar type boarding schools. Usually they are for children from dysfunctional families but sometimes there are actual orphans involved. We live in a very "healthful environment" (lots of woods) and thus, we have been told, there liked to put these types of homes here.

The first year we started small with a "Christmas party" for 1 children's home. We wrote our supporters and they sponsored all the children in less than a day.  We provided a gift to fit the child and a bag of candy.  

This one says it all!

Since 2002, we have expanded the effort to all the area children's homes.

In 2005 we were able to talk with various schools in the area and invite needy children (who don't live in a children's home) to receive a gift. We have a short Christmas program, reminding the children and adults what Christmas is all about (the birth of Jesus). Then, we give the gifts. Last year we were also able to give presents to the moms and dads who came with their children.  (I figured if the children were needy, then the moms or dads were as well and would appreciate a present. Don't adults like presents too?)  We were also able to have a couple of fun things like drawings for patchwork quilts, etc.

The money doesn't really come from us. It comes from people like you, who want to sponsor a gift. We need $15 this year for each gift and $5 for the candy bags.  Rachael (TCC site owner) pays all the paypal fees, so 100% of what you give goes to the present itself.  I do my best to find the best deals.  Last year were able to give away over 450 gifts.  I think that TCC sponsored about 50 or 60 of those, so we were very grateful!

Thanks for however you can help. Many are poor in the U.S., but the "poor" in the U.S. look quite rich compared to the "poor" here in Poland.  Welcome to the "2008 Polish Orphan's Christmas project"!

Pictures....everyone loves them...

Packing and wrapping:

My daughter and a neighbor girl are wrapping

JoAn Barnett helping by wrapping. She visited us at Christmas time last year and had to wrap and wrap!

Typical presents

Girls...

Boys...

Am I cute or what?

Thanks!

What is it?

I like it!

Hmmm...I'm TRYING to be patient!

Ecstatic!

Subdued happiness...

A girl from that "tough to buy for age" (10-12ish)

"What'd you get?"

Boys waiting to open their presents...

The headless helper helps the boys check out their presents. :)

Checking out the candy bags...

Expectation...

Mike helping the boy open the package.

It's not always easy to get pictures of teenagers. These teenagers at this children's home really look out for each other. This home has a lot of handicapped children.  We enjoy going to this one very, very much!

"What's in this box?"

"Look what I got!"

Posing..

This one has the most children (approximately 130 kids)

Wish you were here to enjoy it with us!

Thanks so much for your help.  If you want to buy a gift, just look at on the first page of coupons and order a gift bag and or a candy bag.  Thanks SO much for your help!

Liz

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:13:56 AM »
I have to say it's great to know that TheCouponClippers support such a great cause.  My husband is from Poland. He came here when he was a teen.  We send gifts to family and friends. We also have a group my husbands mother sends gifts too during the holiday season. My husband now has a soft spot for TheCouponCLippers.   You guys are doing a wonderful job. Keep it up!

Becky

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
That is really neat, Liz.

Rachael has been to Poland several times now and is really great at helping us with this project. She helps a lot more than anyone gives her credit for. She has bought toys after Christmas and saved them up and brought them over in her suitcase, etc.  One year her whole family came over and they brought a ton of stuff for us to give away!

I'm glad you are glad.  We are here and I'll be updating this soon.  I arranged for 4 parties Tuesday and want to do one more tomorrow.

Becky

Becky

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »
I just wanted you to know that I'm working like crazy on this project.  I am visiting children's homes and also the area public schools in order to find the most needy children.  We are going to have a packing party on Saturday and I'll post some pictures after that is over.  Most of the presents will be given out during the week of the 15th-20th of December.  

I really do appreciate such enthusiastic support!

Rachael

• Administrator
TCC total count for 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »
We are officially drawing our portion of this drive to a close. We are stopping with 130 gift bags and 158 candy bags!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, wonderful customers!

--Rachael

Becky

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »
We have a full day of 5 parties tomorrow.  They will be held at our buildings. We have had 5 children's homes parties (or similar type places).  On Monday we had 2, and on Tuesday we had 2, then on Thursday we had one.  I have been getting ready today for tomorrow's parties....it will be a massive endeavour!

Will get pictures up soon!

Becky

Rachael

• Administrator
2008 Polish Christmas party pictures from this week.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
Ok. Here are some pictures.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »
They say that a picture says 1000 words, so here's several thousand words, straight to us from POLAND! ENJOY!

Know that you all provided about 1/3 of the gifts that they are giving out, largely today and this past week.