Author Topic: OUR FAMILY TRIP TO EGYPT!!!!!  (Read 8979 times)

Rachael

• Administrator
OUR FAMILY TRIP TO EGYPT!!!!!
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:02:10 PM »
Due to the fact that our daughter is soon to leave home (and has just finished her first year of college) and when that happens, we probably won't see her much, we've figured that if we want to take a family trip with her, that we should do it as often as we can.

So, our family is taking our vacation in Mid-May. The boys worked REALLY hard and finished up their school work and finished up their testing and we're reading to kick off our shoes and relax on a VACATION OF A LIFE TIME.

So, follow along our story here! We're going as a family to EGYPT!

This story will take some time for me to get it "finished". When I am FINALLY finished, I'll send out an email to all on my Email list. Trust me, it's NO WHERE near finished. No pixes yet and the story isn't done by any means.

Rachael

• Administrator
Re: OUR FAMILY TRIP TO EGYPT!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »
SUNDAY, MAY 11, 2008

Here's our "attached" family. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get unplugged while we're in Egypt. However, this is going to be hard. Our whole family is pretty much wired.

Here we are in the airport, trying to figure out how to get a picture off Andy's camera and into Sarah's computer. We got to the airport really early because our rides to the airport are KINDA vital to the morning church service, and had to get back for Sunday School. So, we just got here really early.

Here we are, actually having success.

We've decided that we'll only come to the airport on Sundays. The ride was wonderful down here. If you come to visit and land on Thursday, we'll come and pick you up on Sunday!

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »
MONDAY, MAY 12, 2008

...From Egypt... (Written later in the week about earlier in the week)

We have a few minutes to rest and I am going to attempt to find a spot where I can upload information to the web site. Eventually, we’re going to walk into town and see if we can get a decent reception at the McDonald’s. Believe it or not, we are DEEP into Egypt in a town called Aswan, known for the HIGH DAM of Aswan, and we have located a McDonald’s. We are going to see if we can get there and upload our information using their “Wi-Fi” connection. Well, we are hoping that they have Wi-Fi there. We do have CNN on the cruise ship, so possibly this will be a reality.

Let’s back up a bit on the trip and see if I can’t explain a bit better about what’s happened.

We left the US around 7:10 p.m. on Sunday night, out of JFK flying Egypt Air straight into Cairo, Egypt. It was a totally uneventful flight, other than the fact that Jeremiah, sitting behind me, decided to discuss international affairs with the two Muslim ladies behind me well into the night.  So, at 1 a.m., they were discussing all types of things, and even though it was interesting listening to them attempt to communicate in different languages, those of sitting directly in front of them were a little exhausted trying unsuccessfully to block out their feeble but valiant attempts at communication. Finally, I did get to sleep for a couple of hours. However, we had set our watches for Cairo, Egypt, time shortly after getting on the plane, so that we could be in synch with the land where we were slated to land in just a few short hours. SInce Egypt was 7 hours ahead of us here in the States, our night was virtually non-existent. Right about the time we'd be settling in for bedtime here in America, it was time to RISE AND SHINE in Egypt and the plane was landing, or else they were feeding us yet another meal! It seemed like all we did on the plane was watch movies and eat.

Despite sitting on the runway for an hour at JFK, we were only about 20 minutes late to land. We were met by a Pilgrim Tours Representative and he led us through the maze of Customs, luggage picking up and getting to our 5 star hotel. We're definitely not used to such luxury and beauty in a place to lay our heads.

The Hotel at Night. It's called Pyramids Park Hotel. And YES, this is REALLY Egypt. Amazing, huh? Keep these images in mind as we see more later on during your trip with us via photos.

Here we were, all resting, trying to recoop from no sleep on our respective plane trips.

We were all kind of body weary, but we were excited to be greeted by the Petersen kids as we climbed out of our bus at the hotel. We were able to get to our rooms and right away, we exchanged some money before settling in for the meal after 2 or 3 hours of resting and checking out hotel amenities. We had briefly contemplated going into Cairo with a Taxi, but decided against it, since our hotel was quite a distance from the city proper. So, we just visited the shops there in the hotel and rested and chatted.

Here Steven was trying to figure out WHY they put a fountain in the lobby area of the hotel. I guess they just don't do that in Day's Inn, huh?

We had brought along a camera which Abby, my niece, 16, had bought for herself, so about every picture you’re going to see of Abby will have her with a camera in her hands.

I must say that we aren’t too worried about not getting this week documented with photographs of all types.

We made sure the girls were all situated and then we headed to our own rooms to figure out whether any of our belongings had disappeared when flying over the pond.

We met for supper with everyone in the hotel in a snazzy dining room, after getting the warnings about not drinking the water, brushing your teeth with the water, not getting ice cubes and not eating salads.

The salads all looked magnificent, but we were instructed not to eat of them, due to the greens being washed with the "native" water and not bottled water.

We were all totally zonked and I don’t remember the last time I was in bed by 9:00 p.m., but such was the case Monday night.

I thought I'd include a shot of the room here, just so you can see that it was really just a very normal hotel room once you got inside. The refrigerator only attempted to keep things from being warm.

We were excited to find the finale of SURVIVOR on the television in our room, and it was in English, but after the immunity challenge, I fell asleep and woke up a couple of hours later, totally startled and afraid that we had missed the wake-up call.
But, it was only 10:50 p.m., and eventually we both went back to sleep until about 2:45 A.M. Our wakeup call was at 3:30 a.m. anyway, so it worked out well.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:05:06 PM »
TUESDAY, May 13, 2008 --

This was a crazy day, but the restaurant/hotel people actually pack up box breakfasts for people. We had to rise at 2 a.m. (or was it 3 a.m.?) to gather our belongings and get on an early morning flight to Luxor.

Here is our group gathering in the lobby to eat breakfast boxes. I just couldn't consume food at 2 or 3 a.m.

By 5 a.m. we were on our way back to the airport where we had to catch a 6:30 flight to Luxor.

The plane we flew in.

Getting off the shuttle.. or was it on?

The Nile River from the air. The land is certainly desolate. You've got to wonder how the Children of Israel ever even survived the heat. We had lots of places of refuge. They had nothing much at all.

Irrigation extended for 1/2 mile out from Nile in each direction.

We landed in Luxor, and visited in the Valley of the Kings as early as we could. It was still quite warm (about 102 degrees F) by the time we got out of there and most of had a very HOT introduction to Egyptian life. We visited 3 tombs of ancient kings there.

A typical tomb entrance... lots and lots of sand.. incredibly hot out there with NO SHADE of any kind, obviously... desert!

Another tomb

I got some of our group to stop long enough so I couuld snap a picture as we were climbing up to the tomb of the Pharaoh who was Pharoah when Moses was born.

Ken and me outside the sign of this tomb.

Our family at the top of this tomb..

Lots of sand at the Valley of the Kings. This is as we were leaving to go back to the bus.

After that we went into a shop where we could get some onyx and alabaster.

Here's a demonstration by the locals showing how they make alabaster. You'll notice that you'll only see men running and inside the shops.

Last year, I had bought an onyx clock in there and had to lug it all the way home. Not so this year. I am determined to buy only small items. Same shop. Same demonstrations. It was interesting.

Lots of Onyx and Alabaster.

Here's Peter, then 14 (almost 15) standing in the shop.This was as close as I came to bringing anything home. I'd have to live in a museum piece to bring something this nice into it. I live in a large house, but it's just a house. We all are too rowdy and messy to ever call it a museum. I have too many boys to put expensive things like this out. The wrestle and other such things in the living room.

Then, we rode over to the Temple of Hatshepsut, the surrogate mother of Moses. It has been restored by the Polish, and since I had been in there last July, I opted not to climb the 200 steps and repeat that experience. Instead, I went over to the shops right beside it and bargained, while my kids and hubby went up the steps to see what they could see.

Our ship. Andy is in the foreground.

We tried all kinds of new foods on the entire trip. We almost felt guilty eating so freely on board the ship while the Egyptian people struggle along. Except for the fact that that Tourism is the number 1 industry, so when we board their cruise ships and go and visit these places, we are, in essence, helping the natives to eat. Of course, this is assuming that they will be able to or have enough ambition to get out and get a job in the tourism industry. Some people (ladies) are not allowed, and a lot of the men just don't want to.

I've never darkened the door of a cruise ship before, so this was a new experience for me as well.

LUXOR

Around town.

It was certainly NOT unusual to see mule or donkey drawn carriages sharing the streets with the vehicles.

Poverty abounded.

Then we went to the famous Temple of Luxor after getting to our Cruise Ship and settling in there with a brief rest period. We went to the Luxor Temple later in the evening, and the lights were on there. It was beautiful.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »
WEDNESDAY, May 14, 2008

The Temple of Karnak.

–Today we went to the massive Temple of Karnak. Tis temple is just huge and there’s not really any way to explain what we saw other than to say that it was incredible and despite looking at the Obelisks and seeing the massive and beautiful quality to them, something even more amazing happened…. Our neighbors, from our neighborhood, spotted Ken, and we all found each other. Talk about amazing. What are the chances of us both going to Egypt at the same time (totally unbeknownst to each other), and then happening to go to the same major attraction at the same time, and then be in the vicinity of this HUGE place at the same time and actually seeing each other. The place was swarming with people. I’m totally impressed that they saw each other. Andy, our son, came running up to me to let me know! WOW!

We left the temple, went back to our ship and had our own free time for a while. Several of us went out shopping for a while, others slept, others played games.

Then, our boat launched and headed for Edfu, a town quite a few miles down the Nile, towards Sudan.

When we got to the locks, we the most interesting experience with some boat vendors. I’ll see if I can put up a u-tube video of that experience. However, we did end up with a white robe/gown out of it, which Jeremiah was able to wear to the evening dinner.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »
THURSDAY, May 15, 2008—

This morning after breakfast, we went to Edfu, the location of one of the best preserved Egyptian temples.

Then we sailed some more down the river and headed to Kom Ombo Temple. This temple was only a 3 minute walk from the dock and the whole visit went rather quickly.

We came back to the cruise ship and headed back down the Nile some more. I sat up on deck, read my book, talked and took pictures. We landed finally for the night in Aswan. After a late supper (8 p.m.) we wanted to go out side of the ship to go shopping. However, we were discouraged from doing so, since there was a furious breeze blowing. We decided to brave the breeze and sand anyway. So, we had to walk through the lobby’s of two other ships, as we were parked side by side to two other ships, with our ship’s lobby lined up directly with their ship’s lobby. After marching through the other ships, we found our way up to the top and on a fairly busy street in Aswan.

Whenever you cross the street, you always feel like you’re taking your life into your own hands! But, that’s what we did. We did cross and found some great little shops. We were glad we had braved through all the sandstorm/

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »
FRIDAY, May 16, 2008 –

Today we visited the Aswan Dam and the HIGH Dam. With the High Dam, we learned how they made it,how they paid for it as well as we got to get out and walk across it. Then, we rode over on a ferry boat of sorts to the Isi-Island and looked at the Philae Temple.

Now we have free time,hence why I’m writing this now, Friday afternoon.

We went out for a walk and the writing on this building was so plainly "different" that I thought I'd snap a picture of this for you to see, too.

We also went out looking for the "free" wireless internet that McDonald's was supposed to have and discovered that it wasn't finished yet. However, we wanted to show you the insides of their McDonald's.

We thought the prices were fabulous, since we could divide by 5 to get dollars. So, this one meal was 18.18 Egyptian pounds, changing over to $3.50, and then a little bit less....

Of course, the whole meal was smaller, no free refills and you buy your ketchup packets over your allotted one. However, it was still a good deal. The place was packed out, too, so evidently we weren't the only people who were thinking opening a McDonald's was a good idea.

Here's the outside.. "not your typical" McDonald's.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »
SATURDAY, May 17, 2008 --

Today we got up early on and flew Egypt Air back to Cairo.

Before we left, we had to leave our "guys" a smiley face. So, Ken devised this smiley face in exchange for all the nifty crocs, geese and other fun animal cover sculptures that they had left us.

CAIRO PICTURES
[/size]

We did go to the CAIRO MUSEUM.

However, I didn't get any pictures, because we didn't take our cameras inside because we were going to have to check them.

So, while we were sitting in traffic, I snapped this one:

Our bus carried on water, as treats for us passengers.

For lunch, after getting out of the overcrowded CAIRO Museum we had Sprite and Filafil. Filafil is like their local fast food, only made with chick peas. If one is hungry enough, it's actually quite tasty. Of course, the kids enjoyed seeing the treasures of King Tut's tomb. I don't think that ANY of them realized quite what a treat it was and because we couldn't bring home any pictures, they don't have anything to remind them of it.

THE CITY ITSELF

Pickups overloaded.

We never knew if we'd find a donkey riding up beside us in our huge tourist bus.

Unfinished houses.

The streets of Cairo were teeming with such activity that we tried to stay alert to all of it.

Then, we went to the PYRAMIDS, just outside of Cairo, in GIZA.

Here's our family in front of the GREAT PYRAMID in GIZA.[/i]

Here we are standing on the blocks. We took this so you could have a size perspective.

My sister's family on a block in GIZA.

I thought this was a neat perspective of the pyramids.

THE SPHINX

I was being hounded to death by some young boys at the Sphinx to buy stuff. I was so tired that the whole situation was funny, but my boys and hubby just kept getting irritated. Unfortunately, none of us spoke the same language as the lad, so he didn't know to leave me alone. But my boys paused long enough to pose for me in front of the SPHINX.

After we left the Pyramids and the Sphinx, we went to a shop (of course) where they showed us how they make papyrus into pictures. It was an amazing process. I got some good video footage of it all.

Of course, they wanted us to BUY the pictures, not just take pictures of them. However, my house if FULL and I prefer to bring back photos instead of more things to fill it up!

PETER posing!

We got a complete demonstration of how they make the papyrus pictures. They only use this building as a showroom and sales room, however. I was disappointed to find that they did not MAKE the pictures there. They were amazingly beautiful. This was one of the only women, other than the jewelry shops, who waited on us in any way. ALL hotel staff are men.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
SUNDAY, May 18, 2008

THE STRANGEST/LONGEST SUNDAY OF MY LIFE

Today was one of the strangest Sundays that I’ve ever experienced. Having grown up, not only being AT church, but also actively participating in the activities, it was especially odd to just be sitting in the bus, driving down the road towards Sinai.

This morning we got up around 6:30 a.m. and loaded onto the bus around 8 for an 8:15 departure towards Mt. Sinai on the Sinai Peninsula, in the Asian part of Egypt. Mike Petersen led the challenge in the bus, to utilize our time to the best of our ability, since we had a 7 hour drive to Mt. Sinai. It is a very desolate terrain out there in Egypt, once you pass under the Suez Canal and head into the desert. We did stay near the Red Sea for a while, as that’s the way that the road went. As well, this path traced the path that the Israelites took 3,500 years ago. As we stared out at mile after mile of “God-forsaken” desert, we were overwhelmed at the grace of God that kept the Israelites alive by providing manna and quail for His chosen people.

We stopped for a brief visit at a rest stop for the use of the “water closet” (known as the W.C. or “toilets” to our guides)… (It’s interesting how they use that word so freely when we would tend to use the word ‘bathroom,” even though there’s no spot to take a bath in these places. This was just before we went under the Suez Canal and took a look at the map of the Red Sea and where the Israelites probably crossed 3,500 years ago.

As we drove along, we were impressed by how much the Lord had to take care of the Children of Israel.There's no way that 2 million people could ever have gotten enough food or carried enough food without the Lord doing wonders for them.

When we turned a corner and found the palm trees and the lone acascia tree, it was truly a site for the eyes, since all around us was only miles and miles of desert.

MARAH

We stopped next at Marah, which means bitter. The spot was called this because the water that the childen of Israel found at this spot was bitter.

We looked into the well that was there, and it was almost dry.

At this spot, Ken had us all gather under and acascia tree and we were challenged us about bitterness. We could look out and see the Red Sea, in all its beauty during the challenge.

The Red Sea was off in a distance.

We had the wonderful privilege of buying goodies from the Bedouins who have a small bazaar spread out under tents. They had quite a few tables of trinkets, doodads, scarves and necklaces for sale for all of those who stopped at this spot.

Then, after one of our group passed out candy bars for the Bedouin children, who acted as though they had never seen a candy bar before in their lives, we climbed back into the bus for another hour or so of driving through the wilderness.

OASIS OF ELIM

We stopped for another WC visit and then stopped the bus at the Oasis of Elim, but didn’t climb out.

Our tour guide said it was probably not a good idea, because there were so many Bedouins around and really nothing else to see, other than the palm trees and the spot where Moses had his arms propped up by Aaron and Hur during the battle against Amalekites, wherein Joshua was winning when the arms were up.

THE MT. SINAI MOTEL/HOTEL

Here's a good view of the outside of the hotel. It was a pretty impressive site from the outside.. all made of rock.

Evidently Ken and I got the only clean room in the whole "state owned and run" motel. Each one of us had our own little individual unit. It was kinda cool. Except for the fact that most of the people said that something was broken with theirs. My only complaint was that my bed, besides being a single bed, was as hard as sleeping on the floor. However, after climbing the last 40% of Mt. Sinai and all the way down, I didn't care. I could have slept on the floor.

Here's the girls in front of their room. Yes, there's a "motel room" behind that rock wall.

Here's a pretty nice overall picture of the motel in the Sinai Peninsula region. It's pretty desolate.

We landed finally in Mt. Sinai at our hotel around 2:30 and prepared for our climb up to the summit of Mt. Sinai. At that time, a group of about 20 of us decided to either walk or ride a camel to the top of Mt. Sinai.

Another overview. We're at the base of Mt. Sinai.

THE MT. SINAI CHALLENGE

As we prepared to grab our camels or start our ascent, we had to pass St. Catherine's monastery before we got to the base of Mt. Sinai.

This camel was exceedingly uncomfortable. They got me a larger camel after about 20 steps.

Here I am on a camel.

7 of us rode a camel about 60% of the way and then we all joined the energetic, “in shape” people who hiked the 5 miles to the summit. Approximately 20 people started or made it to the spot where 750 steps (the term is used most loosely here) began.

Her we are, some of us on camels, others walking.

Bedouins who could scale the mountain very easily surrounded us. Thankfully, I had Andy and Jeremiah to protect me and keep them away from me!

On the way up, I caught a pretty good glimpse of the view down below. I can imagine that there would have been room for the entire nation of the children of Israel down in the valley and surrounding this Summit, while Moses climbed the summit to get the 10 Commandments.

The guys ALL walked ALL the way.

Peter rested!

Here's a pretty good view of what we were climbing.

We had to dismount from our camels to start our intense last 40% of the climb to get to the summit. Once we managed to get up there, we had another little service, looking at some more Scripture and we sang about 4 hymns. It was truly breathtaking looking down the 7,000 feet into the valley below. We took tons of pictures and stayed there a while, trying to catch our breath and recoup from the climb.

Here we are at the top:

Here's the Woodard clan that made it!

The Petersen clan that made it.

We had a mini-Singspiration at the top.

Somewhere near the sign at the top.

At the top, there's a small chapel.

Her I am, clinging on for dear life. In the background, you can see the valley.

These are what they called 'steps'. I was envisioning really STEPS..... Wow. Just rocks put together in some sort of semblance of order. They were very uneven, but at least we had a path.

Even at the top we see the Egyptian free enterprise system at work as they try to capitalize on the FEW tourists who make it to the top. No wonder candy bars are $3 apiece!

On the way down, here's the only shade that Daniel, 8, could find!

On the descent my left knee decided that it simply did not appreciate the continual jarring and by the time I was down to the bottom of the 750 “steps” (still had the “easy” 60% to walk down), my knee was about at the “refusal” point. So, Mike (my BIL) gave me his cane to use, to help relieve the pressure during the step downs. It took about 2 to 2.5 hours for us to get down the mountain as it was a pretty intense descent and my legs were about turned to rubber at this point. By the bottom my nephew, Jeremiah, and Mike, were both supporting me, as my thighs had pretty much turned to rubber and everything was refusing to work. I had tried to take the pressure off my knees and put it onto my thighs, and they were not used to such a workout.

The last flat 1 mile walk, I barely limped on in. However, Jeremiah let me use him for support on my left, and Mike on my right and we sang our way through the last mile to keep our minds off our physical pain.

Yes, it was torture. And yes, I’m glad I did it NOW, but I was NOT very glad I did it then. In fact, two days later, as I’m writing this, I’m still in a lot of pain as my muscles, totally unused to any such abuse, are still trying to recover.

They had us go to eat supper at 9:30 p.m. and then we collapsed onto our VERY hard beds at 11 p.m. and even with our lumpy pillows, we fell asleep. I heard later that others had horribly dirty rooms and were totally unsuccessful in sleeping well. However, the only thing that kept me from sleeping well was the pure pain in turning over.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
MONDAY, May 19, 2008--

Today we got up (for me, it was QUITE slowly), and made our way to breakfast, after which we climbed into the bus and went to the St. Catherine’s monastery.

They spell everything odd in Egypt!

We've learned that in Egypt the monasteries were places that had at least some gardens.

Greenery.. not too well kept up right now.. However, I've got to give credit where credit is due. Can you grow anything in pure sand and NO RAIN? I wouldn't be able to do it!

Beautiful flowers

This is a Greek Orthodox monastery and within the confines of the walls, we were able to see the spot where Moses met up with the burning bush. We all took our turns standing under the actual bush (supposedly).

This is my son, Andy, actually touching what is supposedly the burning bush where Moses was told to remove his shoes. Yeah, right. And you believe everything that the tour guides tell you, huh? We didn't believe that one. But we played along like good sports.

We also saw Moses’ well. It was supposedly the spot where Moses met up with Jethro’s daughter, whom he later on married. However, there is much speculation about that.

One of our group said that she was good with Photoshop and she’s going to put flames shooting out of the burning bush (which was growing above our heads), to give some life to the photo.

We were pushed and shoved and shuttled through the monastery and the Greek Orthodox church so fast that it really didn’t “feel” like a monastery at all. I saw only 1 priest, though others said that they saw more.

If the men were wearing shorts that came above their knees, they had to wrap sheets of cloth around themselves. We took a picture of some of the men wearing "skirts".

The men in our group all wanted to see some of the Codexes and a display library of antiquities from the St. Catherine’s Monastery. A group of us ladies stayed down and gabbed with visitors and took more pictures while the men paid their 50 Egyptian Pounds ($10) to see these priceless artifacts.

Here's a girl in native Egyptian dress. These would be the bedouin children, many of whom were trying to get us to purchase trinkets.

From the outside, you can see that this was actually built as a fort as well.. to keep the invaders out.

The bell tower.

This was when part of our group parted to go on to Jordan to see Petra and then on to Israel. However, About 20 of us headed back to Cairo to catch our planes out on Tuesday.

We eventually got back to Cairo via the same route which we had used minus the stops at Elim and Marah, plus, adding in some minor air conditioning problems and rush hour scares. (Rush hour in Cairo is CRAZY). We had a bus that wasn’t so hot, and our it seemed to have transmission problems as well as suspension problems. So, we felt every bump and swerve. Plus, our driver seemed intent upon passing other busses, and semis heavily loaded and moving on roads that were NOT like our freeways. When he got close to the other cars, he would just lay on his horn. He also had a whistle that he liked to set off to inform the other vehicles and people that he was NOT moving out of the way and that they had better move. We were very thankful to get to the hotel.

They managed to make FIVE lanes of traffic on a 2 lane road. It was insane. However, we ended up landing at a beautiful 5 star hotel that was adjacent to the airport property. We had a shuttle available to take us to the airport on Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. to catch our 10:15 flight.

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »
TUESDAY, May 20, 2008

Today we got up and had breakfast at our 5 star hotel and hustled out the door after saying goodbye to my sister and her family, minus Jeremiah, who came back with us.

FriendOfRachael

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:46 AM »
Being there must have brought several Bible stories to life! You must understand the Israelites' wandering in the wilderness in a new way!

FriendOfRachael

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »
I know that our church (Temple Baptist in Dade City, FL) will benefit from this trip for quite some time. Pastor Woodard has a great habit of using pictures from such trips to illustrate parts of his sermons or to give background information. :D

FriendOfRachael

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »
I don't envy you the Egyptian traffic or the bug you seem to have picked up while there. Have you recovered from the hike up and down Mt. Sinai?

Rachael

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »
I have not recovered fully from the Egyptian "bug" that I seemed to have brought home. However, I am thankful that we came home. I had a nightmare last night that we went to Jordan, got caught in a cross-fire on our hotel and almost lost my daughter to those crazy "Islamic fundamentalist" men out there.

While in Egypt, one of the men really did offer Ken 300 camels for Sarah! Abby also got asked about as well on at least one occasion, if not two. We didn't let the teenage girls wander the streets without their cousins or us adults. Our girls are too beautiful and the guys too hungry for "women". We always took a man with us when we went shopping. It's a good thing we have patient husbands!!!!!!!! However, in Egypt, the men are the shopkeepers and very agressive at it. So, it seems as though they are coming after YOU, when in all reality, it's simply your wallet that they wanted!