Author Topic: The Diet Story Continues...69.5..72..73.5.. 77..83 lbs. gone  (Read 18978 times)

Rachael

• Administrator

FAT RACHAEL

I found this picture of me here in the new house probably around March 2001. I probably gained another 10 pounds before I decided to lose.

Ok, Ladies, if you're starting here.. Don't. Hop down to the first diet story called "Because you asked, how I lost.. lbs." However, it had gotten long and bulky.

Besides, I decided to change tactics.

On May 20, we headed out of the country for a whirlwind tour of England. It was spectacular, and so were the fries. I put on two pounds, despite eating anything and everything under the sun. That was great. I was tickled. I hadn't even tried to diet at all. No Slimfast. No Xenical. No NOTHING..except lots and lots and lots of walking.

The trouble started when we came back to the U.S. and shortly thereafter headed to Pennsylvania on a family vacation, where I put on 7 pounds in just 10 short days. The problem? No walking to speak of. Yes, some exercise, but not hourly walking like while in Europe.

So, I had been losing only about 1 pound per month or six weeks on the Slimfast plan. I figured it might serve me well to try something different. So, I did. I decided to try the Low Carb alternative diet. Otherwise known as the Dr. Atkins Diet.

Pretty much we tend to stay quite busy here, but who likes to be hungry? The concept of never feeling hungry appealed to me. So, I've been doing this for almost two weeks now. I've managed to get back down to where I was BEFORE going to England, and even lost 2 pounds more than that.

I just thought you might like to know that I'm still working my way toward my goal weight of 150, despite a slight delay and a change of course.

Believe me, I still have cases of Slimfast and Xenical in the house. I'm afraid that one's body gets used to something and doesn't want to get out of the "cycle" that it gets into. However, with only 18 pounds to go and nearly 70 behind me, I'm so close to my goal that I can smell it. I am a goal oriented person and having a goal within reach gives me added impetus to go ahead and get there...

Any comments or help is appreciated, as sometimes this whole not eating the "good stuff" (like Snickers, Hershey's, smores, and brownies) can get very, very difficult.

Rachael

-------------------
Saturday, August 9, 2003

Well, this week I finally broke the "stalemate" that I had with the 166 lb. mark. I finally got down to 164.5. Those who have tried this know just how hard it is to keep going, even when you seemingly stall out. For about 3 weeks, I fought with the 166-167.5 pound range, and it was discouraging. Finally, this past week, I broke through down to the 164.5 range. I was quite happy. I hope it doesn't take 3 weeks of shuffling back and forth with that pound before I go down again.

Lest you think I get discouraged enough to quit, please don't think that. I'm too close to my goal (150 lb. mark) to quit now. The closer I get, however, to the goal on the scale, the more the realization sinks in that I'm not going to be where I need to be body-mass-and-shape-wise at 150, so I will inevitably have to go lower to get there.

However, when I reach the 150 lb. mark, I'll decide that. At this rate, it's going to take til Christmas to get there! But, even if it does, that's o.k. I'm just glad that I'm headed in the right direction.

The other nice this is, that I have short-term "goal clothes" that I am working my way into. The dress pictured above was one I bought back at Easter time, that was way too tight. I couldn't wear it out in public. I loved it, however, and bought it and kept it hanging up in the bathroom to remind me what I wanted to be able to wear.

Also, the skirt I am wearing in the newest TCC member post, is my other "goal item".  I bought it last Christmas. I used to try it on monthly and would laugh at myself. Now I wear it regularly, and the waist is actually getting too loose. It's a nice problem to have.

But, when I think I've actually achieved something, I just go clothes shopping again. On Thursday I hit the Goodwill in Brooksville for a huge selection of really nice clothes, and was most discouraged at how nothing fit... I should have bought one skirt..it was fully lined, absolutely gorgeous and I doubt it had ever been worn...but at a size 10, the only thing that fit about it was the waistline, and that was too discouraging. I figured someone else could have it worn out before I could ever wear it!

What else am I doing to help? you ask. Well, I am continuing nightly sit-ups, and I am doing leg exercises.. That's it. Yes, I know. I need to start walking and swimming and riding the exercise bike. But I don't. Shame on me. If I could figure out how to answer emails and ride a stationary bike at the same time, I'd probably have the thinnest legs you ever saw..but I haven't figured that out yet! If you know, let me know. I'd be willing to try it!

(Maybe there's a way to bring in a stationary bike, rig up a platform and put the computer keyboard up on the handlebars, so I could type while I cycle. Now, that would be neat! Maybe Ken can rig something up for me!) :?
Rachael
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:40:23 AM by Rachael »

mntgirl2

Weight loss
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 08:29:06 PM »
Rachael, You're beautiful!! Keep up the good work. I'm sure you will reach your goal.          :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mntgirl2 »

Rachael

• Administrator
Latest report...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 10:50:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments. However, most of the time I still feel pretty fat. I think that's because so much of it is still in front of me.  This week, however, one of my neighbors commented about my weight loss. That makes you feel good. Anyone who has lost a good bit of weight will appreciate a nice comment from someone else.  :oops: ) (Don't worry, he's retirement age!)

However, I've still got a ways to go..but I am down another 2.5 lbs., making it actually 72 pounds off.

This was a great week in the weight loss department. I have been ecstatically happy to NOT be hungry, able to eat ALL I want and still lose weight. The trick, of course, is NOT to eat anything but on my "list" of foods allowed. I'm getting a little tired of cheese, meat and ham and eggs. But once again, there I go again, considering what "I" want... instead of what's the "right thing to do," or what I should do...

I try to overcome that on a regular basis. It takes a lot of self-discipline and sometimes it's incredibly hard to pass up the Lay's Potato chips (I love those!) I even found the Ruffles on sale B1G1F, and I really cannot eat just one, so I haven't eaten ANY...

Sometimes I actually have to get up and leave the table and stand by the sink, work on dishes or just wait on the others, to overcome the feeling of intense desire.

On my daughter's birthday last Saturday, however, I did "fail" and I ate a piece of birthday cake. However, I was planning to do that, so it wasn't really a "failing" on my behalf. However, it was kind of a bad idea, as it set me back 3-4 days on the diet.  I'm not sure why, but it did.

If you're thinking about losing weight, I say, "GO FOR IT!" I'm so glad that I did. It's been a LONG, LONG time since I've eaten the way "I wanted to"...Obviously, I shouldn't trust "myself" with food ever again, since I had let myself blimp up pretty bad. So, now, for 13 months I have done the Slimfast thing, and then for about 6 weeks during vacations, I did not do anything, and now for almost 3 weeks, we've been doing the "Atkins" thing and I couldn't be more pleased with the pace of the lost weight.

I realize that others have lost weight faster than I have, but honestly, I haven't had a lot of time to just devote to my own weight program. I am making a concerted effort now to exercise spots of my body that really need the work.

My husband, Ken, is also striving to lose weight, and he's lost 9 pounds since July 7. We're having a race to get to our goals. I promised to buy him a truck if he beat me. He's supposed to buy me a new dress if I beat him. You can believe that I have every intention of winning this one!  :wink:

Rachael

Only 16 pounds to goal weight. And no, I'm not being mean to Ken and tempting him with food that he's not supposed to have. He took me out the other night to a quaint little restaurant in town for prime rib, and we both were down a half pound in the morning! AWESOME!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rachael »

mazull

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 01:08:27 AM »
:D Y ou Are doing great!   I need to loose about how much you have lost and and just can't get motivated any more.  I know I would feel better and be able to serve Christ more.  I hope you contine to do so well.  You are an inspiration to many.

Mary
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mazull »

Rachael

• Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 05:43:09 PM »
You'll never lose it until you get really, really sick and tired of being the way you are.

For several years I would look in the mirror and think, "Self, you really need to lose this weight." However, I never wanted it badly enough to change.

One day, however, I decided to go and see my doctor and I explained my "diet limitations" and he gave me his blessings and the Xenical prescription. I must say that though progress has never been fast for me, it's been pretty much a downhill trend..at least, til vacations.

But, the Lord has been good and I have a pretty good support system at church, since we have several ladies losing weight, but they're all senior citizens.

So many of our church functions center around food, that it's nice when some of us are on diets and we can bring "specialty" foods that work for those of us dieting!

Mary, pray about what you should do. What it boiled down to for me was a health issue.

It seemed like everyone around me was getting some permanent illness, like diabetes, or other such ailments, and most of it was caused by obesity. I surely did fit that category.

When I was a teenager I ran cross-country, was a cheerleader, and helped our church volleyball team to a first-place championship. I love sports as a teen, but realized that I was in such bad shape I couldn't even walk fast without getting out of breath.

THe Lord has been a continual source of strength for me.

Rachael

Dixie

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 11:58:58 PM »
Rachael, you look mahvelous! :) I admire you so much, you are an inspiration!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Dixie »

Becca

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 03:46:25 AM »
Way to go on your outstanding weight loss. I am an obese women currently doing Atkins. I had gone to my doc a few years back and he prescribed xenical but I wasnt a strong enough person to say no to the pizza and other high fat food and was not wanting to risk some of the things that happen when eatting a high fat meal.So down the drain the pills went. Since then I put an end to my smoking therefore gaining more weight. A person I work with had lost a lot of weight doing the Atkins and I thought to myself this was my last hope before talking with my doctor about the Gastric Bypass surgery. I am 34 yrs old and weigh 300+ so I knew I had to do something.I started Atkins Feb 3,2003 and have lost 63lbs. We should all be proud of our accomplishments weather it be 5lbs or 100. I no longer call it a diet. I call it a new way of eatting.
Best of luck to all us.

Becca :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Becca »

Rachael

• Administrator
Incredible!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 04:54:16 PM »
That is so superb! You are doing fabulously!

I don't care whether it's just 5 pounds or 50 or 100, it's going in the right direction!

My sister reminded me that others can control what they do to you, but you and you alone controls what goes into your mouth. Remember that when we try to blame our eating and our weight on others. "It just ain't so!"

I'm so proud of you. I wish I could say that I was on the same track as you, but I'm not! Once again, with this diet, my weight loss has slowed down to next to nothing, but I'll get there, eventually.

Rachael

beabea

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 11:03:50 PM »
Racheal - You look MARVELOUS.  Thank you for sharing your journey, what an inspiration.   If you are trying the Atkin's plan now there is a board that has some great information and lots of support for anyone who is interested, you may want to take a look http://www.lowcarbfriends.com.  Your site is great and I have really enjoyed reading the forum.  I can't wait until Winn Dixie triples again I was going through looking for coupons for the next time they do when I looked at your forum.  Keep up the good work I bet your family is proud of you, now all we need to do is find a clothing store that will give triple discounts for that new wardrobe you need.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by beabea »

Rachael

• Administrator
Discount clothing store
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 11:37:43 PM »
I'm so glad that you wrote this...

YES, I found it!

I went to that SUPER Salvation Army Store on Nebraska Avenue in North Tampa. They were having a 20 or 30 minute half price sale. I found 2 more new skirts, this time in a size 12 and another new top. I consider my stepping down skirts as a VERY necessary expense. I gladly will spend the money, IF I can find what I want. However, I'm having a really, really, really hard time. I want NO pleats, NO gathers, NO elastic, NO EXCUSES to get big again. I have wanted my entire life to be able to wear straight skirts like "the skinny girls" do.

I'll never be skinny, but I have decided that I can wear the skirts and they do look just fine.

My hubby is enjoying the "new me" and so are we all.

We are continuing the Atkins plan. I haven't had much time to read anything about it much. I just know that everything at this point, seems to be incredibly slow going!

However, please rejoice with me, as my weight is now down to 161... for a total off 77 lbs. gone.

I did mention that Ken and I are having a race to see who can get to our "goal weight" first, didn't I? Well, since we began the Atkins diet, he's lost 18 pounds towards it, and I've lost 16. He has 12 more to go and I have 11, but it's tougher for me than for him, because this job is so sedentary. I work a LOT of ours, but I'm not moving around much. My hands and arms are, and definitely my fingers, but not the rest of me. However, lately, he's been doing a lot of physical labor, so that's helping him.

I'm so proud of him. He said that this will be the first time he's ever beaten me in anything. However, I haven't conceded to him yet. We still have a couple more months to go and I'm not giving up til "the fat lady sings." Or in this instance, "the fat lady is not here anymore!"

We watched a special by Katie Couric on tv last night about weight loss where they featured "Dr. Phil."

We both found it amazing that his 7-step diet plan is basically a Biblical concept, put into a weight-loss setting....even to the point of "losing your friends" if all they want to do is eat and drink...

I have set a reachable goal and don't plan to "quit" until I am there. I must admit that August was a very difficult month for this weight loss thing. I seemed to be obeying the "rules" for Atkins, but not losing much. However, it seems to have picked up a bit again here in September. Maybe it's because I'm working for 19 hours a day. Who knows? I'm just thankful for it. I don't think I've seen this weight since before I had Andy, 12 years ago. However, I still feel fat. Maybe some day I'll lose my "gut" by exercising it off. Maybe then I'll feel less fat.

When I mention my "stomach" around other ladies, all they do is say, "Good luck" or "fat chance of losing that"...and then blame it on having babies. I've seen skinny ladies with lots of kids. So, I'll take encouragement from their example.

If you're trying to lose weight, take heart. Just keep at it. It might be slow going, but remember, NO ONE. ..NO ONE...ABSOLUTELY NO ONE controls what goes in your mouth, but YOU! I've not seen any normal adults being force-fed, like babies. That means, in this ONE area of your life, you are TOTALLY in control. I find that fact very empowering.

Each day I spend some time with the Lord, seeking His help and His guidance, in all the things I'm doing--the coupon business, the music business, the home-schooling, the parenting, and on being a wife and example in the church. I also re-new my dependence and trust in the Lord each day, seeing His strength for help with the diet success.

I am so thankful that I am not facing this battle alone. I'm thankful that I have my husband, my children and my friends. I am also thankful for you all. You have no idea how important it is to continually seek encouragement, new ideas, and also "kicks in the rump" as needed...and yes, I need those often. I might have a tendency to turn and "slap back" but it usually sets me thinking straight again to have friends and relatives who are willing to reach out and push me back into straight thinking again.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I am definitely going at a snail's pace on this plan to lose weight, but as long as the chart shows a downward trend on the weight, then I'm happy. SUre, I'd like to be losing 8-10 lbs. per month, but 2-5 is o.k., too.

Have a good day!

Rachael

rebateangel

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2003, 02:36:44 PM »
Hi Rachael,

Congratulations on your weight loss, in fact you were the inspiration for me to finally do something about my weight.  In January, I weighed 287 pounds, I have since lost 108 pounds, I now weigh 179.  

You are definately doing it the right way, I lost it too fast, and I have a couple of health problems from it.  But I haven't been this thin for 20 years, it does feel great, though I know what you mean about still "feeling fat".  My brain just hasn't caught up to the body image.

I started out using Slimfast, but instead I opted for 1400 calories a day and walking 4 miles daily.  But since I developed a low blood protein level, I was told by my doctor to eat at least 1600 calories a day.  I am still losing, but only 5 or 6 pounds a month instead of 11 to 12.  I am starting to feel better.

Sorry to have gone on so, but I know so well what it has taken for you to do this.  My goal also is 150, though I would like to get down to 130, which is what I weighed when I got married.

Anyway, Congratulations!  You deserve it!

Lisa Trader
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by rebateangel »

Rachael

• Administrator
Congratulations!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 03:53:29 PM »
Lisa,

WHat an inspiration you are!

I am green with jealousy, however.. 109 pounds in just 8.5 months! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We want a picture. Can you send me one via email? If you can send it to me privately (rachael@thecouponclippers.com), send me a BEFORE and an after, and we'll post it right here on the forum! (if that's o.k. with you!)

Anyone else? Well, that is just sooooo awesome, Lisa! I read this to everyone in here, and our jaws all about dropped..

It's so hard to give up all those goodies, but it's so very well worth it. Isn't everyone around you excited for the "new you?" Boy, they sure are around me, It's great. Now, if I'd just quit filling these coupon orders and actually get out and walk, maybe I wouldn't be STUCK, too! No, I'm not stuck, it's just slow going!

Rachael

Rachael

• Administrator
You need an update
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 12:37:44 AM »
Well, if you want an updated picture, you should go to "Rachael on the beach" and take a gander there. BUT, I did find a new "FAT RACHAEL" picture. I'm going to put that one up at the top of this thread.

It's truly amazing when you look back to see how far you've come, even though you don't feel like anything's happening when you're in the middle of it.

I am so thankful that I"m in the mid 150's now, and more often than not, the scale is teetering around the 154.5-155 mark on a daily basis.

I started walking two weeks ago and have begun my thigh exercises in earnest. "30 days to thin thighs"...We'll see. There are six rather "undignificed exercises which PROMISE to help me attain those stick-like legs that all the models have! I doubt it, but there's no cost to trying, is there?

Anyway, go to the top of this page for a "new" fat rachael picture!

tkay90

Keep up the good work!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 04:49:00 PM »
I am trying to lose weight right now too. Since January 2003 I have lost 35 lbs or so.  I still have a long way to go.  Your story is an inspiration to me to keep on going!  I am doing the low carb thing.  I went off my diet and then inturn gained 10 lbs or so... so now I am back on have been for almost a week now.  Thanks!
Tina
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by tkay90 »

Rachael

• Administrator
Re: The Diet Story Continues...69.5..72..73.5.. 77..83 lbs. gone
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 12:19:46 AM »
I have had to renew my efforts again, as I've gained an awful lot of my weight back. So, here I go again.. I have a constant struggle with food and my weight.