Author Topic: It's OK to hate me!  (Read 7734 times)

Rachael

• Administrator
It's OK to hate me!
« on: November 23, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »
Well, it's Thanksgiving Day in the evening and my Christmas decorating is ALL done.

So, it's OK for you to go ahead and hate me. However, I have the wonderful advantage of having 4 teenagers in the house, 3 of which are "older" teenagers (does a 13 year old boy count as a teenager yet?) So, we had Thanksgiving dinner with some others and then we tackled our Christmas decorating. We lopped off almost 3 hours off our annual Thanksgiving day tradition.

First you'll see some pictures of our dinner and then I'll explain what we did and how we did it so quickly! It was great.

When we have a number of people over, we usually just do a buffet line. It's easier that passing 20 dishes around the room. We enjoyed smoked turkey and roasted turkey as well as stuffing, home-made mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, green bean and corn casserole, hot buttered rolls with strawberry jam, grape jelly, biscuits with herbs and biscuits with sour cream, apple and cranberry tart and Edwards sundae pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie and peach pie with cool whip. It was delicious and fun to make! We all pitched in and did it and the house smelled marvelous as I cooked the giblets on the stove just for the smell factor!

Here's my son, with a friend of his, Matthew Hurst, enjoying dinner.

Here I'm showing my nephew, (my twin sister's son, who is here for Thanksgiving vacation, my Mother in law and my 6th grade teacher! It's not every day you get to eat with that crowd!

OUR DECORATING IS DONE ...

Our decorating entailed putting together and setting up two 7 foot artificial trees. One is a "Victorian" style (mine) and the other is the kids (anything goes, color-wise). I found that one two years ago at a yard sale for $10 and was glad to replace the sad little 6 footer that we had had for many, many years!

We also put up wreaths, angels, and especially our swags, some outdoor lights and a few other things which you'll see below.

Well, this is the tree that I let the "guys" decorate. Can you tell they are all "tall" and are guys?  I wonder if they ever would notice that there were no ornaments on the bottom of the "front" of the tree? Probably not. Maybe as a mother I should do the "future wife" a favor and take each lad by the hand and show them how NOT to decorate a tree! It's funny when you think about it. However, I think I'll just leave it and see if they notice. (I won't count on it, however).

We had an Indian helping us put together my Victorian tree in the living room. You'll notice the open door in the background. It was a beautiful day, though it did start off nippy. Jeremiah, here from Poland, enjoyed helping to put the tree together and he was a good helper!

Here's our manger scene. I gave this task to my youngest, to find the "table cloth" and put it on the table and set up the manger scene. He enjoyed that task. He did a pretty decent job, too. You can see my Kinkaid picture that is normally above my fireplace moved here to right beside the front door.

At least this year sticking the wreath on the wall was the easiest time I've ever had, as the kids decided that we just had to have a fire in the fireplace. So, that means that Ken moved my Thomas Kinkaid picture off the fireplace, leaving me the single nail that I needed for the wreath. That took about 35 seconds to do that task. When I created the wreath about 8 years ago it took many, many hours of shopping, tying and just plain old "hard work" to get it just right.

Getting the decorations up over the breakfast bar (and also around the other doorways, which I'm not showing here) was by far the most time consuming task of all. Sarah and I tackle that as a team. We had my MIL spotting us, holding chairs and stools and handing us hammer and nails, too. The more hands on something like this, the better.

The year that we actually designed and put it all together was the year that it really took the time, as we had to design it, and spread it out, including the ribbon, the beads, the greenery, etc. We spread this task out over 2 years, creating the various garland effects over time, spreading out the cost and the time. Of course, being cheap, I'd buy as much as I could after Christmas for the next year.

I love these bells. We've taken this whole thing apart more than once and used these bells for weddings, anniversaries and other special occasions, too. I had to change it around when I first got these years ago to make them match my Victorian decorations.

Andy, 15, put up the swags and tackled the "fact that they didn't work" at first and fixed the problem. "Way to go, Andy!" (I'll bet you wish you had an Andy around, huh?)

Here's Sarah putting in the final row of limbs on my Victorian Tree. "Mom, we won!" she said, when it was all done.

Here's Sarah, my 17 yo daughter, helping me decorate "my" tree. I don't let the guys help me with My tree! LOL!

Here's the finished product in my living room.

OK, so don't hate me........ At least ONE thing is DONE in my life. We won't list all the undone things! Now, get started decorating!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:16:45 PM by Rachael »

AndrewNW

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »
yay! a new thread!

i think we should have a feast in celebration!!  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by AndrewNW »

Anonymous

Beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:14:22 AM »
Your family and home are beautiful. I decorate in a Victorian style so your tree is my favorite. You did a great job on your tree too boys.  :D  Thank you for sharing. Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

TimothyPetersen

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:23:15 AM »
Bah,... only short people care about the bottom of the tree.
People only care about what's at the top of the tree, and what's under the tree.  :D

It looks very nice, but there is something wrong with decorating for Christmas while while wearing shorts. In order for it to be Christmasy it has to be down to at least 40°F.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by TimothyPetersen »

savingtonsofmoney

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:20 AM »
Timothy,

In Florida, you turn on the a/c so that you can light a fire. LOL! (I'm NOT kidding.)

Rachael, beautiful decorating job. And yes, I'm envious that you're done.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by savingtonsofmoney »

TimothyPetersen

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:38:30 PM »
Quote from: "savingtonsofmoney"
In Florida, you turn on the a/c so that you can light a fire. LOL! (I'm NOT kidding.)

I wouldn't doubt it in the slightest.
You poor Floridians, who never get snow, never get to build a snow man, never get a white Christmas. *sigh*  Oh, well  I guess you don't have to worry about the problems that snow brings, though they are few.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by TimothyPetersen »

savingtonsofmoney

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »
I'm an ex-Floridian, but in Orlando it got cold enough to snow. We would get a cold snap every November that would find me dragging out the down jacket. Cold without snow is just no fun at all. ;-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by savingtonsofmoney »