Author Topic: Dawn Direct versus Palmoliv Oxy Foam  (Read 9401 times)

Karen1974

Dawn Direct versus Palmoliv Oxy Foam
« on: November 09, 2006, 08:42:45 AM »
As anybody else tried this stuff?  Of course I got them both free with sales and coupons or I would never had been able to afford them.  I think the Dawn Direct was wonderful.  You could put one squirt on your rag and wash forever.  I have a dishwasher but I just think certain pots and pans need hand cleaning.  Then I got the Palmolive one.  I thought this stuff was pitiful.  I would squirt and it hardly even foamed.  Let alone wash multiple items.  I think the next time the Dawn refill goes on a good deal I will invest.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Karen1974 »

savingtonsofmoney

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 09:16:42 AM »
Karen,

I have a theory about these new detergents, including all the fancy new Cascade dishwashing products. You know how most of the products (like cereal, as one example) just reduce their size/volume and change the same amount of money?

Well, I'm convinced that the detergents do it a little differently. I think that they have made their base products less effective--in common English, watered them down! The base dishwashing products are near-useless anymore. I have to wash a dish three times before all of the grease is gone, and a simple run through the dishwasher is useless unless I've "washed," (not to be confused with rinsed) the dish first.

I have a new Whirlpool dishwasher, so it can't be blamed on the new dishwasher like I used to blame it on the old dishwasher.

So what has changed? Why the need for all the "new and improved and more costly" products if we lived just fine with the base products all these years. The need, of course, is a growing corporate profit, and the only way to do this is to convince us that we need the more expensive products. How to convince us? To make the old (base) products less effective.

It only makes sense, if you think about it. Anyway, that's my theory.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by savingtonsofmoney »

Karen1974

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
I know the feeling, my dishwasher was just bought new in March 2006.  I had been hadwashing them for the past three years beacuse the one we had was pathetic.  I swear it was an original model.  My other theory on the dishwashers is the need for the rinse agents.  I have noticed my dishes are looking dingy ever since my Jet Dry dispenser ran out.  What happened to the old days when this stuff didn't exist and you dishes came out just fine.  Now it seems you have to use this stuff for your dishes to look clean.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Karen1974 »

savingtonsofmoney

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »
They're doing it on purpose so that we buy the "helper" products. Have you seen all the new Tide varieties--one to keep your clothes fitting properly, one to keep the colors bright, etc., etc., etc. What if you want TWO things to go right? Do you use half and half. Oh wait, then they'd half fit and only fade half as much.

This really is ridiculous. There is no way that the WASHER shrinks or stretches clothes. It's all in how you dry them. They must think that we're  morons?

couponlady

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »
AMAN SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by couponlady »

Rachael

• Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 09:49:18 AM »
It is for this reason that a number of people MAKE their own laundry detergents. I'm not sure about dish detergents. --Rachael
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Rachael »

savingtonsofmoney

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:56:12 PM »
I'm sure it's fine to make your own dishwashing liquid, but I sure wouldn't go making a science experiment of making dishwashing soap for your dishwasher. They can be really temperamental. In fact, everyone that's ever installed or worked on one of our dishwashers says to use Cascade powder ONLY! No liquid, no lemon, no Electrosol, no nuthin' but Cascade powder. Of course, ymmv.

mrs_evans

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:37:18 AM »
Now, this is interesting to hear you say because I'm completely loyal to my plain-Jane base model Ajax for hand washing dishes.  I give a good squirt in the sink, fill it with hot water and I'm good to go for the all the stuff that doesn't go in the dishwasher.  I've found it to be the best degreaser I've ever come across--I even used it when my toddler decided to coat the walls and floor of the laundry room with orange oil furniture polish, and it worked like a charm to get the greasy film off everything.

My best friend swears by the $2.99 a bottle fancy stuff--with all the foamy action and the 'spa' scents and all that--but I'll never give up my $0.79 a bottle lemon-scented Ajax :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by mrs_evans »

Rachael

• Administrator
Re: Dawn Direct versus Palmoliv Oxy Foam
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »
I must say that as far as the dishwasher goes, our repairman, who was NOT being paid off by ANYONE said to be sure to use the POWDER Cascade...

NOT the liquid... not the gel.... but the powder..

BUt, he did say we should always use a Jet dry.

He did say that they are making the dishwashers themselves so that they are not as good and do not clean as well as the old ones used to. It has something to do with gov't regulations and water saving or energy saving or something.

jones10021

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »
I tried Palmoliv Oxy Foam.  It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't buy it again.

savingtonsofmoney

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 08:05:07 AM »
Someone said something about making their own laundry detergents. We had to give up commercial laundry detergents for health reasons. A family member is allergic to something in them, so we have to use Seventh Generation on sheets, but for everything else, we use this product called Soap Nuts.

http://www.betterlifegoods.com/ProductD ... G-CAT21480

It's a high initial investment at $30, but I only order one kilo per year AND I don't have to lug those huge bottles of detergent and store them. I use the Seventh Generation on the sheets only for convenience. The soap nuts get tied up in the sheets. You can actually make the soap by boiling the nuts in water and then pouring the water into the washer. If I have the time, I do that.

You can pre-treat stains the way you usually do, because even if you're allergic to that stuff, the wash cycle gets rid of enough of it that it doesn't matter.

I didn't know if I was going to like the soap nuts, but I love them. YMMV

andre21

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
it's a very good way to find out detergent.if anyone interest to find out lax aire for ur dog or can u can visit this url http://www.allvetmed.com/PREVICOX-p/pre7.htm